Moline Coal Valley
Transparency for teachers and compliance make EvaluWise the best choice for school evaluations.
Moline Coal Valley School District is part of the Quad-Cities, and one of the larger districts on the Western side of Illinois with about 7,300 students.
Todd DeTaeye is the Assistant Superintendent for Administration and Human Resources. He was part of the committee responsible for selecting EvaluWise as the evaluation tool for their district three years ago.
The District’s Challenge
As with many schools, the previous evaluation process used at Moline Coal Valley School District used to be cumbersome and paper-driven. As they transitioned to a research-based evaluation method in combination with evidence of student growth, they needed a digital evaluation tool.
With their old system, they were using multiple evaluation models and they used a checklist for the summative form. For many teachers the evaluation process seemed subjective. Evaluators did not have a consistent evaluation process.
The long paper-trail format made the process something to check off a list, rather than a process for improvement. “With EvaluWise, the evaluation process has become more of a continuous improvement process. The tool has provided more efficiency and clarity, for both teachers and principal evaluations.”
How EvaluWise Helped
“EvaluWise is just what we do now. The reaction was that it was the greatest thing to have happened to us.” The Moline Coal Valley School district no longer keeps paper files, or scrambles to run copies, or send paper evaluation reports through inter-office mail. The rubrics are at their fingertips, and writing evaluations can be done digitally within the platform so the evaluators are not tasked with doing the same thing twice.
“One of the greatest benefits for both evaluators and teachers is improved transparency about the process. They get email reminders and they know exactly what to expect. We had a great response from our teachers.”
Another program feature that supports research and evidence-based evaluation is the ability upload artifacts digitally, at any time. The platform supports multiple file types – photos, documents, video links, etc. – and the evidence can be posted by anyone – teachers, evaluators, or principals. This has been extremely helpful to have the evidence archived in a central location, and in digital form. “The fact that we can house evaluations and evidence within EvaluWise is convenient, to say the least.”
This means more transparency for everyone. Teachers are having quality conversations with their evaluators, and they’re having more face-to-face meetings than ever before. They’re also talking with their colleagues. With EvaluWise, the entire district is more calibrated and consistent when it comes to evaluations. For a district of their size, this helps tremendously.
Results at Moline Coal Valley School District #40
EvaluWise made the evaluation process more transparent
- Teachers, evaluators and principals all know what to expect from the evaluation process, because now they all use the same interface. This transparency brought clarity to the process and made face-to-face meetings more productive.
Compliance and time efficiency improved
- By law, schools must meet deadlines and timelines set for their evaluation cycles. Within EvaluWise, teachers and evaluators can now schedule conferences and set email reminders to keep organized and moving forward.
Digital scripting is phenomenal!
- Their previous process was cumbersome and required evaluators to transcribe hand-written observation notes into third party documents and keep a paper file for every teacher. With EvaluWise, evaluators can script within the tool, so there is little room for error and it saves evaluators hours.
Ability to archive all artifacts digitally in a centralized location
- All evidence is uploaded and stored centrally within the platform. Past evaluations and evidence are archived centrally too, allowing teachers and principals to review past artifacts for growth and development goals.
Continuous improvement for the benefit of the district
- Since using EvaluWise, the district looks at the evaluation process as an opportunity to improve teacher performance. They continue to make improvements, and will soon be adding rubrics for their speech and language departments.